Written by: Corey B. Welcher, volunteer
Today the American Red Cross in the National Capital Region is joining #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving and gratitude.
Occurring this year on December 1, Giving Tuesday is held annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday to kick-off the holiday GIVING season. The day is meant to inspire people to improve their local communities by giving back in an impactful way to the charities and causes they support.
Since its founding in 2012, Giving Tuesday has inspired various forms of giving around the world, resulting in greater donations, volunteer hours, and activities that bring about real change in communities. As a Red Cross volunteer, I invite you to join me in this important movement and spread the word to your community.
Every Little Bit Helps: Ideas to Encourage Giving on December 1, 2015:
- Go Digital. Visit www.givingtuesday.org/join to receive updates, event invitations and the latest graphics and tools to share on your social channels.
- Encourage your co-workers, local government officials and small businesses to get involved in #GivingTuesday.
- Use the hashtag #GivingTuesday to talk about charity and the causes and organizations you support.
Opportunities to give to the National Capital Region
- Donate your time. Visit www.redcross.org/volunteer to see what opportunities fits your interests.
- Donate blood to #GiveWithMeaning.
- Donate at your federal workplace via the Combined Federal Campaign #96686 or United Way #8022.
- Shop using the Red Cross Holiday Gift Catalog to help people when they need it most.
Happy Holidays and Happy Giving Tuesday!