Every year as June 1st rolls around, all we hear on the radio and on television is “are you and your home ready for hurricane season?” And that’s just the question to ask! A hurricane is a strong storm that can cause life and property threatening hazards like flooding, storm surge, high winds and tornadoes. Atlantic Hurricane season runs through November 30th, 2016.
Here are some tips and tricks to have a well-prepared hurricane season:
1. Know the Difference: Hurricane Watch vs. Hurricane Warning:
a) Hurricane Watch: Hurricane conditions are a threat within 48 hours
b) Hurricane Warning: Hurricane conditions are expected within 36 hours
2. Listen to the radio for critical information from the National Weather Service (NWS)
3. Check your disaster supplies. Replace or restock as needed. Recommended supplies:
a) 3-day supply of water
b) 3-day supply of non-perishable food
d) Radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
e) Extra batteries
f) First aid kit
g) Medications, glasses, contact lenses, etc.
h) Copies of personal documents
i) Cellphones and chargers
k) Emergency blanket
l) Extra set of car and home keys
4. Bring in anything that can be picked up by the wind (bicycles, lawn furniture)
5. Close your windows, doors and hurricane shutters.
6. Turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting. Keep them closed as much as possible so that food will last longer if the power goes out
7. Turn off propane tank
8. Unplug small appliances
9. Fill your car’s gas tank
10. Have a hurricane evacuation plan with your family. This will cause less confusion when the time comes to evacuate, if instructed to do so by authorities
11. Obey evacuation orders. Avoid flooded roads and washed out bridges
With these tips and tricks, you, your family, and your home can be prepared for Hurricane Season.
For more information, visit www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/hurricane to learn about hurricane preparedness and how to respond during and after.
Want to know when any severe weather is headed your way? Download the Red Cross Emergency App, available on the App Store and Google Play!